Boyd Martin was planning a busy spring of eventing, which included four horses entered at the Rolex Kentucky Three Day event, the Western Hemisphere’s only annual four star eventing competition. Rolex, which runs from April 24-27 at the Kentucky Horse Park, is a selection event for the 2014 World Equestrian Games, which will take place at the end of the summer in Normandy. Boyd’s scheduled mounts were Trading Aces, Shamwari 4, Otis Babotiere and Sir Donovan.
Unfortunately, Boyd broke his shin on March 23 while riding at the Carolina International in Southern Pines. His mount, Steady Eddie, who was just moving up to advanced, ducked out of a fence at the last minute, and Boyd whacked his leg on its corner. He had surgery and a titanium rod put in on March 24, and was hoping to be strong enough to go to Rolex just a month later.
Here’s Boyd on Steady Eddie before the accident:
Although Boyd is back up and riding, he decided Rolex is not to be this year. Last year, he had a disappointing round at the competition on Trading Aces while riding with a “small fracture” in his ankle, and does not want to compete when he is less than 100%.
Trading Aces will still compete, but under Phillip Dutton instead. Shamwari 4 and Otis Babotiere are being pointed towards the four star in Luhmuhlen, Germany this June. Sir Donovan was sold last week to Philippa Humphreys, a British event rider based in Michigan.
Many other eventers who train in Aiken over the winter are on the Rolex roster. These include:
• Jan Byyny with Inmidair
• Phillip Dutton with Mr. Medicott, Mighty Nice and Trading Aces
• Kevin Keane with Fernhill Flutter
• Kristin Schmolze with Ballylaffin Bracken
• Kim Severson with Fernhill Fearless
• Doug Payne with Crown Talisman (dressage phase only, according to his blog)
• Allison Springer with Arthur and Copy Cat Chloe
• Sally Cousins with Tsunami
• Caitlin Silliman with Catch a Star
•Kate Chadderton with Collection Pass
• Colleen Rutledge with Shiraz
• Lillian Heard with Share Option
The complete Rolex entry list is here: http://www.rk3de.org/entry_list.php